Tips when moving offices
Here at Hackworthy we help businesses move offices all the time so we know the pressures and understand that it’s fairly difficult to make sure everything’s in order. There’s so much more to consider than when you’re moving house because for starters, there’s usually more of you! We know just how to help your day run as smoothly as possible and how to have you back to normal ASAP so we’ve compiled a simple, and hopefully helpful, list of tips to get you through your office move without a hitch!
- Knowing the floor plan of your new office space is key. This way you can decide if you need to store any extra desks you don’t need for now and you can plan which items goes into the van first and last. It’s a way more efficient way of unpacking!
- Use the office move as an excuse to sort through old files and paperwork. You can shred all the bits you don’t need, cutting on costs, legwork and moving time. Our sister company, Plymouth Self Storage, can even shred it for you! Start your new lease clutter free and ready to be productive.
- Don’t leave your employees in the dark. If they’re not clued up on all the details of the move, then they can’t be as efficient as possible. Hold a team meeting to ensure questions are answered and you could even delegate so employees know what they can do to help.
- If you’re moving computers and unplugging leads it’s so easy for work to be lost if you haven’t made sure things are shut down properly. Make sure you back up all of your folders onto a hard drive prior to moving, just in case.
- Secure any personal files you have on clients or employees, to be confident that you’re not in breach of the data protection act by allowing third parties access to these files.
- Organisation is key in a big move, especially with a business relocation so make sure that you label boxes, organise your files and categorise everything. Allocating boxes for employee information, company documents and client files will help you more efficiently unpack and get business back to normal.
- Call your utility suppliers in advance and change addresses to get your services redirected. By calling ahead of your move you’ll avoid things such as Internet downtime.
- Make sure you tell your customers you’re moving! There’s nothing worse than your clients turning up at your old office and thinking you’ve gone bust. It’s bad for business via word of mouth and your clients may just take their business elsewhere. It may also be true of new clients looking to talk to a team member so make sure your materials and online presence are up to date.
If you’re thinking about your office move, give one of our team members a call for a chat.