The government has amended its regulations so that people who wish to move to a new house can do so. You can read the government guidance here.
In response to this change and the publication of further guidance by the government and the British Association of Removers, we have now begun carrying out work again.
After completing specific risk assessments and training our staff in new COVID -19 procedures we can confirm we meet the government’s standards of a COVID19 Secure Business.
However, you can be assured we will continue to review government guidance and industry best practice to ensure we are doing all we can to protect our staff and customers from the risk of Coronavirus.
Please note we are unable to carry out moves where a household is self-isolating; the risk to the crew and subsequent clients is too great. So, your legal adviser must ensure that any contract you enter into has sufficient flexibility to allow the purchase to be delayed if an individual in one of the parties contracts coronavirus or has to self-isolate.
A COVID Secure Move
Please find details of the steps both you and we can put in place to ensure we minimise the risk of spreading infection.
Getting a Quote.
We have begun carrying out home visits so clients can get quotes for their removal however we can provide the following alternatives to a site visit.
Virtual Surveys - Allows you can connect virtually to one of our surveyors through your smartphone or tablet. Once connected, via the app, you can show the surveyor around the property
Online Survey Form - This online form can be completed day or night. Just walk around the house and select the items you have to move from the online list.
Please be aware the government advises against home visits and moving to a new house if you or any member of your household have been advised to shield.
Preparing for a home visit:
- We will call you the day before to confirm you’re still happy for the call to take place. We will also confirm with you that your household has not had to start self-isolation because of symptoms of Coronavirus.
- Open all internal doors to limit the surveyors contact with surfaces.
- Be prepared to social distance throughout the visit to minimise your contact. You should limit the number of people in the house to just one where possible but always to household members only.
- If possible, leave the surveyor to look around the house themselves. Then discuss your removal in a well-ventilated room or outside if weather permits.
Carrying out a Removal
We have put measures in place to limit the risk of spreading infection between staff and customers. Many of these you will not see as they take place before the crew arrive, such as staggering crew’s arrival time at the depot, carrying out daily health checks and cleaning procedures.
There are also measures you can put in place before the crew arrive and whilst they are at your property.
Before the Crew arrive
- Try to do as much of the packing yourself – call us to discuss your options.
- Dismantle furniture and disconnect and prepare appliances and electricals.
- Where possible clean your belongings, and surfaces such as door handles,banisters before the crew’s arrival and then again after they have left (standard domestic cleaning products are fine).
- Open internal doors and windows to aid ventilation.
- Ensure pets are shut away and other trades people have left the property.
- If you have a face mask, consider wearing it.
During the Removal
- The crew will call to advise you they are on the way. Please ensure that people who don’t need to be at the property have left before they arrive.
- When the crew first arrive, you may wish to discuss an aspect of the removal with the crew this should be done in a well-ventilated room, outside if weather permits or even during the pre-call.
- During the move seek to minimise your contact with the crew, maintaining a distance of at least 2 metres where possible. Avoid passing and talking in restricted areas such as hallways and staircases.
- Please provide access to W/C (where possible for their use only). The crew will bring soap and hand towels.
- Please don’t provide refreshments, again the crew will bring their own.
- Once the crew have finished at each property, they will ask you to walk around and check that everything is in order whilst they wait outside.
Using Personal Protective Equipment.
The government advice clearly states that good hand hygiene and social distancing are the most important way of limiting the spread of Coronavirus. Our crews have procedures for limiting their contact with each other and clients whilst at work
However, we have issued crews with gloves and masks which they can use as required in certain circumstances. For example, when they are working face to face in a confined space for a long period of time.
We are continually reviewing and refining our working best practice based on our industry and the government's regulations and guidance.
If you have any particular concerns or would like to discuss our procedures further, please feel free to contact us on 01752 228815.
Thank you for your valued support in these unprecedented times – Stay Safe.